Thursday, August 27, 2009

Where is your heart?

Joshua 24:14-24 is our background text, please read and then follow along and see what God shows you today.

This is one of the passages that says "choose you this day whom you will serve" it comes from verse 15;
"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorities, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my household we will serve the Lord.
Notice that they were being asked to choose which god to serve, the real God or false gods. Thankfully they chose to serve the Lord God!

We all know this passage above and many sermons are preached on it. But have you ever read on to verses 23 and 24? These verses start with "Now therefore" which always refers back to previous verses. In this case its to their choice to serve the true God.Listen to verse 23 again;
"Now therefore, he said, put away the foreign gods which are among you, and incline your heart to the Lord God of Israel."
This is a command to enable us to serve God with our whole life's being.

Most of us don't have idols or other gods that are named as such these days , or do we? I once heard "Anything that takes the place or your time for God is a god to you." Thinking about this reminds me of things that snatch my time for prayer and Bible study with God each day. I'm sure you can think of a few things you do too, that shortens your time. It also makes me realize that I want God to be God in my life today. So therefore I make that choice, now how do I live it out?

The end of verse 23 tells us how to live our lives for God. It says:
" incline your heart to the Lord God of Israel."
Psalms 119:112 says;
"I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes forever, to the very end."
So how long do we need to read, pray and worship God, FOREVER!

Opening your soul and spirit to let God into your life is what these verse are saying. Where your heart is, is where your allegiance lies. Examples of where your heart is may be the following. What quickens you to action? If anyone upsets my child or husband you will not want to see me respond! Do I have as strong of a reaction when someone attacks my God? I hope so, but to be honest I probably need to work on this! How to incline my heart then? Prayer, read the Bible, meditate, prayer, fellowship with other Christians, prayer, read and study God's word- then repeat!

Spend some time today inclining your heart to God. Get to know God thru His Bible, let Him speak to you in prayer and mediation. You won't be sorry for the time spent! Your day will go much easier!

Consider this thought;
There are 24 hours in a day, to give God 10% of that time is not much, are you doing that? Consider these verses before you decide;
Psalms 34:1-4
" I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make its boast in the Lord, the humble shall hear of it and be glad. Oh,magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together. I south the Lord, and He heard me,and delivered me from all my fears."

May God met you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment